Scouting and Guiding in Michigan
Scouting in Michigan has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
Early history (1910-1950)
Recent history (1950-1990)
The Bass Lake lone troop Scout camp was part of the Owasippe Scout Reservation operated by the Chicago Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America. The Bass Lake camp was a single camp on a small (approximately 600 feet wide) lake in the Owasippe reservation. A single troop would take over the entire camp, usually for a two week period, preparing all their own food and overseeing all aspects of the camp life. Active in the 1950s and 1960s, Bass Lake camp is no longer in use.
International Girl Scouts of the USA gatherings named Senior Roundups were held every three years from 1956 until 1965. The first one was held at Milford, Michigan in 1956, attended by 5,000 girls.
Boy Scouting in Michigan
The 2006 National Order of the Arrow Conference (NOAC) was held at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan. The host lodge was Gabe-shi-win-gi-ji-kens Lodge #374. 8,003 Arrowmen from around the country came by plane, train, and bus to participate in the Order's largest NOAC. Over 600 people from the state of Michigan were present during the 5 day scorcher that was.
- Bay-Lakes Council
- Blue Water Council
- Chief Okemos Council
- Clinton Valley Council
- Detroit Area Council
- Gerald R. Ford Council
- Great Sauk Trail Council
- Hiawathaland Council
- La Salle Council
- Lake Huron Area Council
- Scenic Trails Council
- Tall Pine Council
- Voyageurs Area Council
Girl Scouting in Michigan
There are 13 Girl Scout council offices in Michigan.
- Girl Scouts of Crooked Tree, Traverse City, Michigan, http://www.girlscoutscrookedtree.org
- Girl Scouts Fair Winds Council, Inc., Swartz Creek, Michigan, http://www.fwgsc.org
- Glowing Embers Girl Scout Council, Inc., Kalamazoo, Michigan, http://www.gsgec.org
- Girl Scouts of The Huron Valley Council, Ann Arbor, Michigan, http://www.gshvc.org
- Girl Scouts - Irish Hills Council, Jackson, Michigan, http://www.girlscoutsihc.org
- Girl Scouts of Macomb County - Otsikita Council Inc., Clinton Township, Michigan, http://www.girlscouts-macomb.org
- Girl Scouts of Metro Detroit, Detroit, Michigan, http://www.gsofmd.org
- Girl Scouts of Michigan Pine and Dunes Council, Muskegon, Michigan, http://www.mipineanddunes.org
- Girl Scouts of Michigan Capital Council, Holt, Michigan, http://www.gsmcc.net
- Girl Scouts of Michigan Trails, Grand Rapids, Michigan, http://www.gsmt.org
- Girl Scouts - Michigan Waterways Council, Inc., Port Huron, Michigan, http://www.gsmwc.org
- Girl Scouts of Mitten Bay, Saginaw, Michigan, http://www.mittenbay.org
- Girl Scouts of Peninsula Waters, Inc., Ishpeming, Michigan, http://www.gspw.org
Scouting museums in Michigan
- E. Urner Goodman Scout Museum, Owasippe Scout Reservation, Blue Lake Township, Michigan
- Thomas D. Trainor Boy Scout Museum http://www.dacbsa.org/Trainor-ScoutingMuseum.htm
- Washington Scouting Museum, Washington, Michigan http://ojibwa.cvc-bsa.org/museum.htm
Scout Activities by County