San Luis Rey District (SDIC)
San Luis Rey District, a district of the San Diego-Imperial Council serves Boy Scouts in the cities of Oceanside and Fallbrook and USMC Camp Pendleton in North County San Diego. (Est. July 2016)
District Roundtable meets on the 2nd Thursday each month 7PM at the LDS Church (3990 Mesa Dr, Oceanside). Roundtable provides training, activity updates, and other key resources for local scout leaders and scouting parents.
- SanLuisRey.SDICBSA.org - Official District Website
- 05-May-2018 : LDS Vista Stake Merit Badge Spring Clinic
- 15-June-2018 : District Recognition Dinner
- 26-Oct-2018 : LDS Vista Stake Merit Badge Fall Clinic
- 18-21 Jul-2018 : Cub Scout Day Camp
Visit the District Roundtable (above) to get more information about these and other scouting units in this area.
Cub Scout Packs
Cub Scouts holds weekly activities for youth ages 6-10. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Pack 609 - LDS San Elijo Hills Ward - Felicita Bldg (LDS Scouting) - San Marcos
- Pack 722 - St Francis of Assisi Church - (Catholic Scouting) - Vista
Boy Scout Troops
Boy Scouts holds weekly activities for boys ages 11-18. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Troop 609 - LDS San Elijo Hills Ward - Felicita Bldg (LDS Scouting) - San Marcos
- Troop 708 - Salvation Army- Oceanside Corps -
Venturing (Boy Scouts of America) hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Crew 651 - San Marcos Lions Club
- Crew 709 - United Methodist Church of Vista (Methodist Scouting) - 2017 two-week hi-adventure trek to Alaska.
Exploring Posts hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Post 120 - San Diego Aviation Explorers (Palomar Airport) "Let your interest in aviation take off with Exploring"
- Post 3141 - Maker Movement Explorers - Open Source Maker Labs - Monthly STEM Projects include designing, building and operating drones, catapults, railguns and more. Learn how to use CAD and additive manufacturing tools and focus on STEM competitions (underwater robotics, hackathons, etc).
Sea Scouts hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
Parks & Recreation
- Guajome County Park - Largest urban park in North County area is known both for its rich natural habitats (including a small, but beautiful Lake Guajome) and its historic Rancho Guajome Adobe. The adjacent Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum also hosts group scouting camping, Scout Camporees for San Diego-Imperial Council units and the annual kickoff for the Girl Scout Cookie Sales. From Guajome you can follow the 10-mile San Luis Rey River Bike Trail for a flat ride straight to the Pacific Ocean. Also it is the number-one rated bird watching destination in North County.
Many of those locations offer discounts for scouting units and families :
- Boomers Vista - Mini-Golf / Arcade / Batting Cages / Bumber Boats / Go-Karts
- Get Air Vista - Trampoline Park
- Sky Zone San Marcos - Trampoline Park
San Diego-Imperial Council Camps feature many resources for organizing exciting outdoor adventure group activities and are available for rental by scout groups, families and other youth groups. Some camps feature an organized week long campership program during summer months.
- Mataguay Scout Camp - Traditional wilderness camp and primary outdoor learning center of the council located in the mountains near Lake Henshaw. Their summer camp program is one of the few BSA facilities to feature glider flights and mountain biking courses. Shooting sports center is also most popular here.
- Fiesta Island Youth Aquatic Center - Sailing, oceanography, boating, surfing, kayaking, swimming and other aquatic activities are featured parts of this bayfront summer camp located in San Diego's famous Mission Bay Park.
- Camp Balboa - Cub Scout Activity and camping center located in downtown San Diego adjacent to Balboa Park and the World Famous San Diego Zoo. Includes full size swimming pool.
More local area camping opportunities can be found at the following:
- Cleveland National Forest - many campgrounds and hiking trails
- San Diego Beach Camping - camping next to the ocean is pretty cool.
- San Diego County Parks - 9 parks with campgrounds and hiking trails, 12 historical/cultural sites and 15 sports parks.
- Imperial County Parks
- USS Midway Museum - youth groups can sleep overnight on this historic aircraft carrier / national landmark and learn all about military aviation, radio electronics and much more.
This district is part of The San Diego-Imperial Council, headquartered in San Diego, California, and serves youth members and volunteer leaders through Scout units in San Diego and Imperial counties of Southern California, as well as a portion of Arizona. It is a local council (#049) of the Boy Scouts of America located in the state of Arizona and California.