San Diego County Parks
Camping / Wilderness Parks
Are you ready to experience the San Diego wilderness? Check out one of our many parks below to find your ideal camping destination. For more info about camping in a San Diego County Park, call (877) 565-3600 or (858) 565-3600.
- Agua Caliente County Park - A very popular park during the winter, this desert oasis is known for its beauty and solitude, and for the soothing mineral waters in its two naturally fed pools.
- Dos Picos County Park - Sheltered by steep, boulder-strewn mountain slopes, this park is designed to highlight the ancient oak groves that make your stay here memorable.
- Guajome County Park - (Oceanside / Vista) Known both for its rich natural habitats (including a small, but beautiful lake) and its historic Rancho Guajome Adobe. The adjacent Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum also host group scouting camping, Scout Camporees and the annual kickoff for the Girl Scout Cookie Sales. From Guajome you can follow the 10-mile San Luis Rey Bike Trail for a flat ride straight to the Pacific Ocean. Also is the number bird watching destination in North County.
- Lake Morena County Park - This spectacular lake is a magnet for anglers, yet the 3,250 acres of this East County park offer something for every outdoor enthusiast, from hikers to picnickers to just plain campers.
- Oakoasis County Park - An overnight campsite is available to youth groups only. The site includes a covered picnic pavilion, restrooms, tent camping, an amphitheater with fire pit, beautiful views, and an optional cabin that is available for an additional charge.
- Potrero County Park - Quiet solitude describes this park, but it's also near some adventurous places, such as historic Campo and the colorful Mexican town of Tecate.
- Sweetwater Summit County Park 0 This park specializes in accommodating equestrians, but all of those who love the outdoors will enjoy their stay in this park, which is also close to major attractions such as golf courses, the San Diego Zoo, and Tijuana.
- Vallecito County Park = The reconstructed sod Butterfield Stage Station is at the heart of this desert refuge, which is a great home base from which to explore the wonders of the Anza-Borrego Desert.
- William Heise County Park - (Julian) One of our most beautiful parks, Heise lies amid 900 acres of mountain forests. Several great mountain hiking trails start direct from the camp. There are also a couple of group campsites for extra privacy. On the way home pickup a traditional Julian Apple Pie for the family.
San Diego County is rich in natural and cultural history. Efforts are made, every day, to protect historic icons and to provide education on our region’s colorful past.
- Bancroft Rock House
- Campo Stone Store
- Heritage County Park
- Rancho Guajome Adobe (See Guajome County Park)
- Rancho de Los Penasquitos - Johnson-Taylor Adobe Ranch
- Wilderness Gardens County Preserve
- Vallecito County Park
- Edgemoor Farm Dairy Barn
- Felicita County Park Prehistoric Village
- Oak Grove Butterfield Stage Station
- San Diego Civic Center (Waterfront Park)
- Warner's Ranch
The County of San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation maintains and/or operates many sports facilities throughout the County including ball fields, sports courts, gymnasiums and a roller hockey rink. Below is a list of these facilities.
- 4S Ranch Sports Park
- Cactus County Park
- Hilton Head County Park
- Fallbrook Sports Park
- Jess Martin County Park
- Lakeside Baseball Park
- Pine Valley County Park
- Potrero County Park
- Rainbow County Park
- San Dieguito County Park
- Spring Valley Gymnasium
- Steele Canyon County Park
- Sweetwater Lane County Park
- Sweetwater Summit Regional Park
- Tijuana River Valley Regional Park
County Parks recognizes that certain athletic facilities are intended to be used for organized sports activities, and require that a permit be obtained for the use of those facilities.
- San Diego Botanic Garden in Encinitas encompassing 4 miles of garden trails, a wide collection of native and endangered plants, a whimsical children's garden, and the nation's largest collection of bamboo species. The garden offers a full line up of events including workshops, plant sales, and bird-watching tours. This garden is managed by a separate entity.
- Tijuana River Valley Regional Park is the largest community garden in all of San Diego.
- Los Penasquitos Canyon County Preserve - community gardens are comprised of 20 6' x 16' garden boxes with drip irrigation, superior soil, and access to nearby tool lockers - providing lessees with the space and amenities they need to grow their own produce.