Cathedral Caverns State Park
Cathedral Caverns State Park, operated by Alabama State Parks, is a home to some of the largest underground cavern formations in the greater southeast. Camping, hiking and backcountry trails are also here.
Entrance alone measures 126 feet wide and 25 feet high. And it gets even better. Inside the cavern, you will find Big Rock Canyon, Mystery River and some of the most beautiful formations Mother Nature has ever created. Among them, you will see Stalagmite Mountain, The Frozen Waterfall and Goliath, a huge stalagmite column that reaches the ceiling of the cave some 45 feet above!
|Cathedral Caverns State Park|
|Location||Marshall County AL|
The cave maintains a comfortable 60 degrees temperature year round; which makes it an excellent field trip for school, church or other groups. The park itself encompasses 493 acres, and there are marked hiking trails available for those wanting to enjoy the outdoors.
Notable features of the caverns include:
- an entrance measuring 25 feet (7.6 m) tall and 128 feet (39 m), believed to be the world's widest entrance to a commercial cave;
- the column known as Goliath, one of the largest stalagmites in the world measuring 45 feet (14 m) tall and 243 feet (74 m) in circumference;
- the large flow stone "waterfall," 32 feet (9.8 m) tall and 135 feet (41 m) long;
an "improbable" stalagmite, only 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter at its base and rising at a 45-degree angle from a rock formation to the cave ceiling 25 feet (7.6 m) above;
- the Big Room, 792 feet (241 m) long and 200 feet (61 m) wide;
- the Mystery River, which flows through the cavern and which due to limited outflow may cause flooding after heavy rain.
- Formerly inaccessible areas beyond the paved walkway are now open as part of the "Wild Cave Tour."
- Cave Tours - check for times and fees.
- Beech Camp Backcountry Campsite: - This is a strenuous, uphill hike to the campsite.
GPS Coordinates: N34. 34.641 W086 14.162. Trailhead: N34 34.368 W086 13.756, Near Intersection of Cathedral caverns Road and Cave Road. Distance: From Trailhead, hiking on the green trail – 3/4 miles.
Cathedral Caverns State Park offers both improved and primitive camping areas. Bath House with hot showers available
Popular activity for small kids.
Scouting at Cathedral Caverns
- See also Greater Alabama Council.