Toloma Lodge 64
Toloma Lodge #64, Order of the Arrow:
The Order of the Arrow (OA) is the National Honor Society of the Boy Scouts of America for Boy Scouts, Venturers, and Scouters elected by their fellow Scouts according to OA membership requirements, and inducted into membership by an OA lodge. The OA has been providing cheerful service to others through youth and adult OA members (known as "Arrowmen") in various lodges and councils throughout the USA since July 1915.
- Yosemite Klondike Derby - Sponsored by Toloma Lodge 64 in Mid-February of each year. At this Winter Camporee scouts come test your winter survival skills.
Toloma Lodge History
Toloma Lodge 64 burst into life. On October 10, 1998, at 10:10 AM, Yo-Se-Mite Lodge 278 and Sumi Lodge 342 became one at Camp McConnell in Livingston, California. This momentous occasion was celebrated by the current Chiefs from the two Lodges; each carried a flaming torch from their own Lodge's fire and together used them to kindle the flame that will burn in the Council fire of the new Toloma Lodge for many years to come. Traditions of both Lodges are melding to form the traditions of the new Toloma Lodge 64. The Lodge's name, "Toloma," comes from the Mi-Wuk meaning Lynx. The totem of the Lodge is appropriately Lynx. The Newsletter is the Missing Lynx.
YoSeMite Lodge 278 History
In the beginning, between the years of 1930 and 1944, an honorary camping society was formed for outstanding campers in the Yosemite Area Council. This society was filled with ceremonies and rituals using Indian lore and thereby called "The Tribe of Yosemite." During Summer Camp of 1944, it was decided to affiliate with the Order of the Arrow. Yo-Se-Mite Lodge 278 was officially chartered on August 23, 1944. The members of “The Tribe of Yosemite” were blanketed in as charter members to the Lodge.
Sumi Lodge 342 History
In the early years of the Council around 1920 (Stockton Council and later San JoaquinCalaveras Council) there were yearly summer camps set up in the Santa Cruz mountains where the present day Henry Cowell State Park is located. Sumi Lodge 342 was first chartered on June 4, 1946 as Stanislaus Lodge 342. Although the first Lodge name was used for less than a year, officially on January 1, 1948, the name changed to Sumi which means "deer” in the MeWuk language. The Lodge totem is the mule deer which frequents the hills and valleys of the great San Joaquin Basin.
This lodge is part of The Greater Yosemite Council (GYC), which proudly serves youth members and volunteer leaders through Scout units in Modesto, Stockton, Calaveras and San Joaquin regions of Cenetral California. It is a local council (#059) of the Boy Scouts of America. All youth are invited to join scouting.
- Camp Mensinger & Soap Creek Adventure Base - Traditional Summer Camp & Sierra Adventure Base in the Stanislaus National Forest near Lake Beardsley.
- Camp McConnell - Located on the banks of the beautiful Merced River (Livingston CA) and used for Council Trainings, Cub Resident Camps and Unit Campouts. Home of the Yosemite Klondike Derby.