Sea Scout Cup Race
|William I. Koch Sea Scout Cup|
- International Biannual Sailing Regatta
The William I. Koch International Sea Scout Cup is a biannual Sailing Regatta put on by Sea Scouting (Boy Scouts of America). The event was founded by Bill Koch in 2002 in order to allow Sea Scouts from around the world to compete. The original National Sea Scout Sailing Championship began in the 1930s but went dormant when Sea Scouts left the program to serve in World War II. Today Sea Scouts from around the world gather for a week of friendly competition. Scouts from Australia, Brazil, Denmark,Egypt, England, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, and the United States have participated.
After nearly half a century since there was a Sea Scout national sailing competition, the Sea Scouts program asked Bill Koch if he would be interested in reviving the championship that had been dormant since World War II. Koch requested that the regatta be open to Scouts from around the world in order to foster international understanding and camaraderie. He commissioned a trophy from Asprey Garrard's, the silversmith who made the original America's Cup trophy, and donated it to the Boy Scouts of America. The Koch Cup now resides in the national Boy Scout Museum in Irving, Texas.
Teams qualify on the first few days of the cup. Sea Scouts in the top half of the fleet qualify for the Koch Fleet and the rest qualify for the Kiwi Fleet. The Kiwi Cup was donated by the Sea Scouts of New Zealand in 2000. It is an authentic Maori carved statue that is presented to the winners of the Kiwi Fleet.
|Year||Location||Host||Winner of Koch Cup||Winner of Kiwi Cup|
|2002||Chicago, IL||Columbia Yacht Club||Template:Country data US Thomas Hartman and Trevor Gurley||Template:Country data US P Cotera and J Cotera|
|2004||Buzzards Bay, MA||Massachusetts Maritime Academy||Template:Country data US Trevor Gurley and Corey Kemp||Erling Guderud and Siri Neslein|
|2006||Miami, FL||Coral Reef Yacht Club||Template:Country data US Corey Kemp and John Harada||Template:Country data US Andrew Scheuermann and Danielle Meeker|
|2008||Annapolis, MD||United States Naval Academy||Template:Country data US Patrick Arlington||Template:Country data US Eric Johnson and Levi White|
|2010||New London, CT||United States Coast Guard Academy||Template:Country data US Cody Stansky and Andrew Britton||Template:Country data US Barchan Rodgers and Abby King|
|2012||Vallejo, CA||California Maritime Academy||Template:Country data US Jack Donnell and Brooke Stinson||Template:Country data US Mathew Rozario and Colin Bartels|
|2014||Long Beach Sea Base||Long Beach Yacht Club||Template:Country data US Ben Brough and Laura Roudebush||Template:Country data US Andrew Berkowitz and Isabella Rudrow|
|2016||Long Beach Sea Base||Long Beach Yacht Club||Template:Country data NZL Nicholas Gardiner and Nicholas Williams ||Template:Country data US Teagan Foley and Mick Foley|
|2018||Galveston, TX||Sea Star Base Galveston||Template:Country data US Max Katz-Christy and Thomas Craciun||Template:Country data US Robert Gustke and Andrew York|
- "California Team Takes 2014 William I. Koch International Sea Scout Cup". http://www.seascout.org/21-sea-scout-news/119-2014-william-i-koch-international-sea-scout-cup.
- "2006 Koch Cup Press Release". http://seascoutcup.org/ssc/docs/release_06_06.pdf.
- "2002 Koch Cup Champions". http://seascoutcup.org/ssc/archives/2002.html.
- "2004 Koch Cup Champions". http://seascoutcup.org/ssc/archives/2004.html.
- "2006 Koch Cup Champions". http://seascoutcup.org/ssc/archives/2006.html.
- "2008 Koch Cup Champions". http://seascoutcup.org/ssc/archives/2008.html.
- "Quest for the Cup in New London". http://www.theday.com/article/20100807/NWS01/308079849.
- "2010 Koch Cup Champions". http://seascoutcup.org/ssc/archives/2010.html.
- "Teen sailors win Sea Scout Cup sailing championship". http://youthsportsdaily.palmbeachpost.com/sailing/2010/08/10/teen-sailors-win-sea-scout-cup-sailing-championship/.
- "Sea Scouts the world over sail for glory at Vallejo's Cal Maritime". http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_21169040/sea-scouts-world-over-sail-glory-at-vallejos.
- "2012 Koch Cup Champions". http://seascoutcup.org/ssc/archives/2012.html.
- "Donnell, Stinson win Koch Cup". http://www.dailypilot.com/sports/tn-dpt-0804-kochcup-20120803,0,7850422.story.
- "ON THE WATER: Flying Junior Sailboats Scout For Cup". http://www.gazettes.com/sports/on_the_water/on-the-water-flying-junior-sailboats-scout-for-cup/article_68a2d77a-ec2b-11e3-9074-001a4bcf887a.html.
- "2014 Koch Cup Champions". http://seascoutcup.org.html.
- "Marlborough duo claim William I Koch International Sea Scout Cup sailing trophy in California". http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/sport/83044983/marlborough-duo-claim-sailing-trophy.