Scouting and Guiding in San Diego County, California
Scouting in San Diego County, California provides many local youth with opportunities for unique learning opportunities, experience outdoor fun and serve the community in San Diego County, California.
Scouting Organizations operating in San Diego County, California:
Popular opportunities to explore San Diego County outdoors:
- Cleveland National Forest - many campgrounds and hiking trails
- San Diego Beach Camping - camping next to the ocean is pretty cool.
- San Diego County Parks - 9 parks with campgrounds and hiking trails, 12 historical/cultural sites and 15 sports parks.
San Diego-Imperial Council Camps feature many resources for organizing exciting outdoor adventure group activities and are available for rental by scout groups, families and other youth groups. Some camps feature an organized week long campership program during summer months.
- Mataguay Scout Camp - Traditional wilderness camp and primary outdoor learning center of the council located in the mountains near Lake Henshaw. Their summer camp program is one of the few BSA facilities to feature glider flights and mountain biking courses. Shooting sports center is also most popular here.
- Fiesta Island Youth Aquatic Center - Sailing, oceanography, boating, surfing, kayaking, swimming and other aquatic activities are featured parts of this bayfront summer camp located in San Diego's famous Mission Bay Park.
- Camp Balboa - Cub Scout Activity and camping center located in downtown San Diego adjacent to Balboa Park and the World Famous San Diego Zoo. Includes full size swimming pool.
- Trails in San Diego County, California
- Palomar Mountain State Park
- Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
- Anza Borrego Desert State Park
- Lower Colorado River Valley
- Mormon Battalion Trail
- Pacific Crest Trail - which runs 3000 miles from Mexican border, up the length of California, across Oregon and Washington, to the Canadian border. It provides numerous opportunities for both shorter and longer backpacking trips and high adventure training.
- Cleveland National Forest - access trails to the three tallest peaks in San Diego County (all over 6,100 feet tall) - Mount Laguna, Cuyamaca Peak and Palomar Mountain - as well as many trailheads to the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Museums in San Diego County, California
- USS Midway Museum - youth groups can sleep overnight on this historic aircraft carrier / national landmark and learn all about military aviation, radio electronics and much more.
Parks & Beaches
- Nature of California - Guide to local wildlife and vegetation
Scouts practicing good Citizenship in San Diego County:
Local facilities in San Diego County, California that offer youth programs for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics).
Special Needs Partners
Duty to God Partners
Local opportunities for Scouts to explore their Duty to God:
Help scouts Do a Good Turn Daily Non-profit organizations providing services to San Diego County citizens:
- JustServe.org - List your scout service project here to recruit extra volunteers.
Noteworthy Scouting accomplishments in San Diego County, California: