Scouting and Guiding in Ohio
Scouting in Ohio has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
Early history (1910-1950)
Recent history (1950-1990)
In 1952 the National Order of the Arrow Conference was held at Miami University.
Boy Scouting in Ohio
In the 1990s, the BSA went through a restructuring in an attempt to reduce manpower, and in several states small historic Councils were merged into a larger supercouncil. The new Simon Kenton Council is an example of such a supercouncil.
There are sixteen Boy Scouts of America local councils in Ohio.
- Allohak Council
- Black Swamp Area Council
- Buckeye Council
- Dan Beard Council
- Erie Shores Council
- French Creek Council
- Great Trail Council
- Greater Cleveland Council
- Greater Western Reserve Council
- Heart of Ohio Council
- Miami Valley Council
- Muskingum Valley Council
- Ohio River Valley Council
- Simon Kenton Council
- Tecumseh Council
- Tri-State Area Council
Girl Scouts of the USA in Ohio
There are eight Girl Scout councils in Ohio.
- Girl Scouts of Appleseed Ridge, Inc., Lima, Ohio http://www.gsar.org
- Girl Scouts of Buckeye Trails Council, Dayton, Ohio http://www.btgirlscouts.org
- Girl Scout Great Rivers Council, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio http://www.grgsc.org
- Girl Scouts - Heart of Ohio, Inc., Zanesville, Ohio http://www.gsheart.org
- Heritage Trails Girl Scout Council,inc., Mansfield, Ohio http://www.girlscoutsht.org
- Girl Scouts of North East Ohio, http://gsneo.gslec.org/
- Girl Scouts of Maumee Valley Council, Inc., Toledo, Ohio http://www.gsmvc.org
- Girl Scouts - Seal of Ohio Council,inc, Columbus, Ohio http://www.sealofohio.org
Other Girl Scout associations in Ohio
The American Heritage Girls is a Christ centered Scouting group modeled after young women's organizations such as the Girl Scouts of the USA and the Campfire Girls, but with a Judeo-Christian focus to its philosophy and activities. It was formed in 1995 by a group of parents from West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio.
Scouting museums in Ohio
- W.C. Moorehead Museum http://www.tuscazoar.org/museumpage.htm
International Scouting units in Ohio
Külföldi Magyar Cserkészszövetség Hungarian Scouting maintains four troops in Cleveland.
Scout Activities by County
USA - Scouting By State
New Hampshire ·
New Jersey ·
New Mexico ·
New York ·
North Carolina ·
North Dakota ·
Rhode Island ·
South Carolina ·
South Dakota ·
West Virginia ·