Scouting in East of England
Scouting in East of England is about Scouting in the official region of East of England. It is largely represented by the Scout Association of the United Kingdom and some Groups of traditional Scouting including the Baden-Powell Scouts' Association.
There are two student associations at various universities in the region, each of which is affiliated to the Student Scout and Guide Organisation (SSAGO). These are Cambridge University Scout and Guide Club and University of East Anglia SSAGO.
History of Scouting in East of England
The 1st Bury St Edmunds Scout Group holds a registration certificate dated to 5 February, 1908, and the Group claims to be the oldest surviving Scout Group in England. However, this claim is not currently upheld by The Scout Association.
1st Southwold Scout Group was established in 1908 and claims to be the first Scout group established in Suffolk. 1st Reydon and 1st Wrentham in Suffolk also existed in 1908. In Norfolk, 1st Norwich Sea Scouts and 1st Dereham Scout Group both claim to have been founded in 1908, making them some of the earliest Scout groups to have formed.
The Scout Association Counties
The Scout Association in East of England is administered through seven Scout Counties
Bedfordshire Scout County
Bedfordshire Scout County is a Scout County of the Scout Association of the United Kingdom. It is concurrent with the political county of Bedfordshire, and provides Scouting opportunities for young people and adults in the area around Bedford, Luton, and Dunstable.
The badge worn by members of the Bedfordshire Scout County shows a red falcon on a yellow background. The current version of the badge was phased in over a ten year period, starting in the early 1980s. It replaced a previous version which had either a silver or gold falcon on a green background.
The County currently has 2 County Scout Networks (Bedfordshire County Scout Network & Bedfordshire Air Scout Network) and 5 Local Scout Networks 
The County is currently divided into nine Scout Districts.
- Ampthill and Woburn
- Bedford 
- Biggleswade & District
- Icknield (Luton)
- Lea Valley
- Ouse Valley
- Someries (Luton)
Cambridgeshire Scout County
Cambridgeshire Scout County is a Scout County of the Scout Association of the United Kingdom. It is concurrent with the political county of Cambridgeshire, and provides Scouting opportunities for young people and adults in the area.
Scouts in Peterborough were given the Freedom of the City in April 2007. This is the first occasion in Britain when Scouts have received this type of award.
The badge worn by members of the Cambridgeshire Scout County is unusual in its design, as it is shaped as a shield rather than the more standard rectangle. The elements on the badge represent towns covered by the Scout County, the cross-keys representing Peterborough.
- Cambridge District
- Cambridge Crafts Hill District
- Cromwell District
- Ely District
- Fenland District
- Granta District
- Hinchingbrooke District
- Medehamstede District
- Nene District
- Newmarket and District
In 2006 the Cambridgeshire Jamboree moved from the East of England Showground, in Peterborough, to the Huntingdon Racecourse. CamJam 2006 was the fifth such jamboree to be arranged by Cambridgeshire Scout County.
On site activities included go-karts, a skate park, ice rink, a planetarium, climbing walls, radio controlled cars, caving and hot air balloons on two evenings. Other activities included archery, rifle shooting, model land yachts, car mechanics, scavenger hunt and model aircraft.
Essex Scout County
Chelmsford in Essex was the location for the 21st World Scout Jamboree, held between the 27th July to 8 August 2007. The Chelmsford District had a number of special events. By 2007 there were 16,000 members in Essex Scouting covering every community in the county.
The County HQ is at the Thriftwood Training Centre.
The badge worn by members of the Essex Scout County shows the heraldry of the regional county of Essex of "Gules three Seaxes fessewise in pale Argent pomels and hilts Or points to the sinister and cutting edges upwards.".
Essex International Jamboree
The Essex International Jamboree was first held in 1927 when it was visited by the Founder, and then Chief Scout, Sir Robert Baden-Powell. Essex have held jamborees every four years since 1952 and at their current site, Devereux Farm, Kirby-le-Soken, since 1996.
Between 26 July and 2 August 2008, thousands of Scouts and Guides from Essex and beyond attended the Essex International Jamboree 2008.
Over 8,000 participants and 2,000 staff attended the jamboree representing 30 different countries, including: Canada, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Ireland, Israel, Kenya, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, Uganda, UK, USA and Zimbabwe. Another 4,000 people, including hundreds of Cub Scouts and Brownies were hosted for the jamboree open day.
The theme for 2008 was "The World's Endangered Animals" and included a strong emphasis for 'green issues' such as recycling and developing global links. In keeping with the theme, the site was sub-divided in to 10 sub-camps containing a mixture of UK and international Scouts and Guides, with a further sub-camp for staff. Each of the participant sub-camps was named after an animal that is at danger in the world. All of the animals could be found at the nearby Colchester Zoo, and each sub-camp became involved in the zoo’s adoption scheme as a lasting legacy of the event.
The next Essex International Jamboree is due to take place in 2012.
Hertfordshire Scout County