Scouting in Arkansas
|Scouting in Arkansas|
Boy Scout Councils Serving Arkansas
Map of Girl Scout Councils in Arkansas
Scouting in Arkansas has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
Early history (1910-1950)
The Boy Scouts of America began in Arkansas in 1913, when the Little Rock Council was chartered by the National Boy Scout Council and was directed by a volunteer commissioner. In 1920, the Little Rock Council was reclassified and W. G. Moseley became the first council executive in 1921. Two years later, the Little Rock Council was renamed to the Pulaski County Council. 
Arkadelphia Boy Scout Hut
Arkadelphia Boy Scout Hut
|Location:||8th St., Arkadelphia, Arkansas|
|Area:||less than one acre|
|Built by:||A.F. Bishop|
|Architect:||National Youth Administration|
|Architectural style:||Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements, Other, Rustic|
|Added to NRHP:||January 28, 2002|
The Arkadelphia Boy Scout Hut, located in Central Park, Arkadelphia, Arkansas, is on the |National Register of Historic Places. Since the roof and the original shutters and windows were replaced in 1953, in the Hut is preclude from being listed on the National Register under Criterion Criterion C. However, it listed under Criterion A as a "property that made a contribution to the major pattern of American history".
The Boy Scout Hut was constructed from 1938 to 1939 as a National Youth Administration (NYA) project. It is an example of the typical type of buildings constructed by the New Deal's Works Progress Administration (WPA), Civilian Conservation Corps(CCC) and NYA during the Great Depression. However, it is the only known building constructed by the NYA and the only building designed in a Rustic style that remains standing in Arkadelphia that was designed and constructed during the New Deal era.
Aubrey Williams, Executive Director of the National Youth Administration, announced the project on 24 September 1937. "City recreation departments, children’s agencies, YMCA’s, YWCA’s , settlement houses, institutions for the blind, public schools, orphanages, hospitals for handicapped and crippled children, boy’s clubs, Boy Scouts, community centers and churches were reported as cooperating agencies in supervising the students and providing facilities for increased recreational programs to all young people in the community.
While the Boy Scout Hut was constructed specificity as a meeting place for two local Boy Scout troops, and its use is controlled by the Boy Scouts, the building is actually owned by the city of Arkadelphia. Starting around 1958, the Boy Scouts allowed the local Girls Scout troops to use the building and currently Cub Scout Pack 3024 and Girl Scout Troop 454 use the building.
Recent history (1950-1990)
- On October 8, 2001, the board of Quapaw Area Council, Little Rock, Arkansas, voted to merge the Eastern Arkansas Council into its council effective January 10, 2002.
- In 2012 the Ouachita Area Council merged into the Quapaw Area Council.
Boy Scouting Council in Arkansas
Girl Scouting in Arkansas
|Girl Scouts - Diamonds of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas|
|Headquarters||North Little Rock, Arkansas|
|Chair of the Board||Barbara Bethell|
|Chief Executive Officer||Denise Stewart|
With the exception of Crittenden County, the Girl Scouts - Diamonds of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas council girls in all of Arkansas. Additionally this council serves girls in Adair, LeFlore, and Sequoyah counties in Oklahoma and girls in Bowie and Cass counties in Texas. It was formed on October 1, 2008, by the merger of Arkansas Post Girl Scout Council, Girl Scouts of Conifer Council, Girl Scouts of Crowley's Ridge Council, Girl Scout Council of Mount Magazine Area, Noark Girl Scout Council, and Girl Scouts of Ouachita Council.
The Girl Scouts Heart of The South, which main serves girl in Mississippi and Tennessee girls in Crittenden County.
- Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Fort Smith, Arkansas
- Jonesboro, Arkansas
- North Little Rock, Arkansas
- Pine Bluff, Arkansas
- Texarkana, Arkansas
- Camp Cahinnio is almost 400 acres (1.6 km2) near Booneville, Arkansas
- Camp High Point is 163 acres (0.66 km2) in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains east of Mena, Arkansas. It was established in 1945.
- Camp Noark is 300 acres (1.2 km2) in the Ozarks near Huntsville, Arkansas.
- Camp Crossed Arrows is 400 acres (1.6 km2) south of Batesville, Arkansas. It opened in 1965.
Camp Ouachita was used as a Girl Scout camp from 1937 until 1979 when the cost of providing potable water proved too much for the local council. It is now a National Historic District as the only surviving Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed Girl Scout Camp. It was built in the Ouachita National Forest for the Little Rock Area Girl Scout Council which before had only occasional use of a local Boy Scout camp.
- Hook, James; Franck, Dave; Austin, Steve (1982). An Aid to Collecting Selected Council Shoulder Patches with Valuation. http://www.angelfire.com/tx6/patch/cspbook.html.
- "Arkadelphia Boy Scout Hut". Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/historic-properties/_search_nomination_popup.aspx?id=1967. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Eastern Arkansas Area Council Historical Association
- Two Arkansas Councils Combine to Form New Quapaw Area Council
- Crone, Camilla (2012-12-07). "Camp Ouachita National Historic District". The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture. The Central Arkansas Library System. http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?search=1&entryID=4204. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
USA - Scouting By State
New Hampshire ·
New Jersey ·
New Mexico ·
New York ·
North Carolina ·
North Dakota ·
Rhode Island ·
South Carolina ·
South Dakota ·
West Virginia ·