San Luis Rey District (San Diego-Imperial Council)
San Luis Rey District, a district of the San Diego-Imperial Council serves Boy Scouts in the communities of Oceanside, MCB Camp Pendleton, Bonsall, Fallbrook, and Rainbow in northwest San Diego County. (Est. July 2016)
- 1 District Roundtable
- 2 District Calendar
- 3 Registered Units
- 4 Scouting Attractions
- 5 Local Camping
- 6 SDIC Council
- 7 External Links
District Roundtable meets on the 2nd Thursday each month 7PM at the LDS Church (3990 Mesa Dr, Oceanside). Roundtable provides supplemental training for volunteers at the unit level. The objectives of roundtables are to provide leaders with program ideas, information on policy and events, training opportunities, and an enhanced network of contacts and other resources while also providing unit leaders with a voice in formulating direction at the district level.
- SanLuisRey.SDICBSA.org - Official District Website
- SDIC Training Overview- RSVP 15-60 days in advance for any training session. Contact your district training leader for more info.
2018 Upcoming Events
- 10-Feb-2018: Pack & Troop Leader Training, LDS Melrose Bldg (1545 So. Melrose Dr., Vista)
- 24 March 2018: Phase I, Cub Scout Mormon Battalion Historic Trail Award; Visit Old Fort Stockton, the Mormon Battalion Historic Center, and Seeley Museum, all in Old Town San Diego. Work on requirements 1a and 3, complete requirement 2 of award.
- 7 April 2018: Phase II, Cub Scout Mormon Battalion Historic Trail Award; Cubs hike 5 miles of the Mormon Battalion Trail between Butterfield Ranch and Foot and Walker Pass—the same route hiked by the Mormon Battalion during the Mexican-American War in 1847. Complete award by finishing requirements 1a, 1b, 3, and 4.
- 27-29 April 2018: District Camporee, Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum, Vista.
- 05 May 2018 : LDS Vista Stake Merit Badge Spring Clinic
- 26 May 2018 : Troop 752 Memorial Day Flags at Eternal Hills - Each year, the group expects to distribute approximately 2,000 flags to honor not only veterans, but also firefighters and police officers of Oceanside CA.
- 15-Jun-2018 : District Recognition Dinner
- 30-Jun-2018 : Cub Scout Super Training Day
- 18-21 July 2018 : Cub Scout Day Camp
- 06-Oct-2018 : North County Mega Training Day
- 27-Oct-2018 : LDS Vista Stake Merit Badge Fall Clinic
2019 Upcoming Events
- 09-Feb-2019 : North County Scout Training Day
- 29-Jun-2019 : Cub Scout Super Training Day
- 05-Oct-2019 : North County Mega Training Day
2020 Upcoming Events
- 14-Feb-2020 : North County Scout Training Day
- 27-Jun-2020 : Cub Scout Super Training Day
- 03-Oct-2020 : North County Mega Training Day
Visit the District Roundtable (above) to get more information about these and other scouting units in this area.
Cub Scout Packs
Cub Scouts holds weekly activities for youth ages 6-10. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Pack 701 - LDS Oceanside 1st Ward - California Bldg (LDS Scouting) - Oceanside
- Pack 704 - LDS Fallbrook 1st Ward - Stagecoach Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Pack 712 - LDS Oceanside 3rd Ward - Mesa Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Pack 714 - LDS Oceanside 2nd Ward - Mesa Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Pack 718 - LDS Fallbrook 2nd Ward - Stagecoach Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Pack 721 - Mission San Luis Rey Parish - (Catholic Scouting) - Oceanside
- Pack 725 - LDS Fallbrook 5th Ward - Bobier Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Pack 735 - Riverview Evangelical Free Church - Bonsall
- Pack 738 - St. Peter the Apostle Parish - (Catholic Scouting) Fallbrook
- Pack 739 - Zion Lutheran Church - Fallbrook
- Pack 741 - LDS Oceanside 4th Ward - California Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Pack 752 - First Presbyterian Church - Oceanside
- Pack 755 - Willow Tree - Bonsall
- Pack 756 - Oceanside Elks Lodge #1561 - most of our youth attend Palmquist or South Oceanside Elementary Schools.
- Pack 769 - St Mary's Star of the Sea Parish Church - (Catholic Scouting) Oceanside
- Pack 783 - LDS Oceanside 5th Ward - Mesa Dr (LDS Scouting / Spanish)
- Pack 787 - San Luis Rey Methodist Mens Club - Oceanside
- Pack 789 - Marine Memorial Chapel - Our Cub Scouts mainly attend Mary Fay Pendleton School of the Fallbrook Union Elementary School District aboard MCB Camp Pendleton.
- Pack 790 - Blinder Memorial Chapel - MCB Camp Pendleton
- Pack 7146 - American Legion Post #146 - Oceanside - Pack 7146 has received many awards since its formation in 2009.
Boy Scout Troops
Boy Scouts Weekly meetings / monthly outtings / annual summer adventure trips. Scouting builds life and leadership skills for boys ages 11-17. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Troop 701 - LDS Oceanside 1st Ward - California Bldg (LDS Scouting) - Oceanside
- Troop 704 - LDS Fallbrook 1st Ward - Stagecoach Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Troop 712 - LDS Oceanside 3rd Ward - Mesa Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Troop 714 - LDS Oceanside 2nd Ward - Mesa Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Troop 718 - LDS Fallbrook 2nd Ward - Stagecoach Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Troop 721 - Mission San Luis Rey Parish - (Catholic Scouting) - Oceanside
- Troop 725 - LDS Fallbrook 5th Ward - Bobier Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Troop 731 - St. Peter the Apostle Parish - (Catholic Scouting) Fallbrook (Boy-Led / Boy-Run)
- Troop 735 - Riverview Evangelical Free Church - Bonsall
- Troop 737 - VFW #1924
- Troop 739 - Zion Lutheran Church - Fallbrook
- Troop 741 - LDS Oceanside 4th Ward - California Bldg (LDS Scouting)
- Troop 752 - First Presbyterian Church - Oceanside
- Troop 755 - Willow Tree - Bonsall
- Troop 783 - LDS Oceanside 5th Ward - Mesa Dr (LDS Scouting / Spanish)
- Troop 789 - Marine Memorial Chapel - MCB Camp Pendleton.
- Troop 790 - Blinder Memorial Chapel - MCB Camp Pendleton
Venturing hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Crew 709 - United Methodist Church of Vista (Methodist Scouting) - 2017 two-week hi-adventure trek to Alaska.
Exploring Posts hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Post 120 - San Diego Aviation Explorers (Palomar Airport) "Let your interest in aviation take off with Exploring"
- Post 3141 - Maker Movement Explorers - Open Source Maker Labs - Monthly STEM Projects include designing, building and operating drones, catapults, railguns and more. Learn how to use CAD and additive manufacturing tools and focus on STEM competitions (underwater robotics, hackathons, etc).
Sea Scouts hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
Parks & Recreation
- Guajome County Park - Largest urban park in North County area is known both for its rich natural habitats (including a small, but beautiful Lake Guajome) and its historic Rancho Guajome Adobe. The adjacent Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum also hosts group scouting camping, Scout Camporees for San Diego-Imperial Council units and the annual kickoff for the Girl Scout Cookie Sales. From Guajome you can follow the 10-mile San Luis Rey River Bike Trail for a flat ride straight to the Pacific Ocean. Also it is the number-one rated bird watching destination in North County.
- Oceanside Harbor Days (2nd Weekend in Sept - Popular Sea Scout Activity) - With Nail and Sail, three-member teams have two and a half hours to build a boat from scratch that they will race across the harbor, around a buoy and return to the dock. All they have to work with are three 8-foot sheets of plywood, about 40 feet of framing boards, nails and caulk supplied by Harbor Days’ organizers – the Oceanside Chamber of Commerce. No power tools are allowed. They can’t bring duct tape or other outside supplies.
Many of those locations offer discounts for scouting units and families :
- Old Mission San Luis Rey
- California Surf Museum
- Oceanside Museum of Art
- Buena Vista Lagoon Foundation
- Oceanside Historical Society Museum
- Oceanside Beach Tides Almanac
- Oceanside Heritage Park Village & Museum
- Marine Corp Mechanized Museum - MCB Camp Pendleton
- Boomers Vista - Mini-Golf / Arcade / Batting Cages / Bumber Boats / Go-Karts
- Get Air Vista - Trampoline Park
- Sky Zone San Marcos - Trampoline Park
- County of San Diego
- City of Oceanside
- Bonsall Unified School District
- Fallbrook Union High School District
San Diego-Imperial Council Camps feature many resources for organizing exciting outdoor adventure group activities and are available for rental by scout groups, families and other youth groups. Some camps feature an organized week long campership program during summer months.
- Mataguay Scout Camp - Traditional wilderness camp and primary outdoor learning center of the council located in the mountains near Lake Henshaw. Their summer camp program is one of the few BSA facilities to feature glider flights and mountain biking courses. Shooting sports center is also most popular here.
- Fiesta Island Youth Aquatic Center - Sailing, oceanography, boating, surfing, kayaking, swimming and other aquatic activities are featured parts of this bayfront summer camp located in San Diego's famous Mission Bay Park.
- Camp Balboa - Cub Scout Activity and camping center located in downtown San Diego adjacent to Balboa Park and the World Famous San Diego Zoo. Includes full size swimming pool.
More local area camping opportunities can be found at the following:
- Cleveland National Forest - many campgrounds and hiking trails
- San Diego Beach Camping - camping next to the ocean is pretty cool.
- San Diego County Parks - 9 parks with campgrounds and hiking trails, 12 historical/cultural sites and 15 sports parks.
- Imperial County Parks
- USS Midway Museum - youth groups can sleep overnight on this historic aircraft carrier / national landmark and learn all about military aviation, radio electronics and much more.
This district is part of The San Diego-Imperial Council, headquartered in San Diego, California, and serves youth members and volunteer leaders through Scout units in San Diego and Imperial counties of Southern California, as well as a small portion of Southwest Arizona. It is a local council (#049) of the Boy Scouts of America. All youth are invited to join scouting.