Sam Houston Area Council
|Sam Houston Area Council (SHAC) #576|
|Location||2225 N Loop W, Houston, TX 77008|
The Sam Houston Area Council (SHAC) is a local council (#576) of the Boy Scouts of America located in the state of Texas. The council covers the city of Houston and the surrounding area. IT serves nearly 50000 youth in 16 counties southeast Texas area through dedicated service and leadership of nearly 18000 adult volunteers.
Dating back to 1913, SHAC covers today the following counties of Texas: Austin, Brazos, Burleson, Colorado, Fort Bend, Grimes, Harris, Madison, Matagorda, Montgomery, Robertson, Walker, Waller, Washington, and Wharton.
In September, 1910, 12-year-old Nelson Duller and his friends convinced his father, David M. Duller to organize the first Boy Scout Troop in Houston. In 1913, the Houston Council (later the Houston Area Council, and in 1938, the Sam Houston Area Council) was organized.
- Aldine Pathfinder District - covers Aldine Independent School District (ISD)
- Antares District - covers the following school districts, North Forest ISD, Houston ISD north and select schools within Lamar and Fort Bend ISD
- Blue River District - covers Houston ISD, serving Fifth Ward, Third Ward, and Sunnyside areas
- Cherokee District - covers the inner city of Houston, Northern parts of the city, Sunny Side Area, Houston Housing Authority, selected city parks and selected schools in the Houston ISD
- Lone Star District - covers portions of Houston ISD
- Tejas District - covers the following school districts: Spring Branch, Galena Park, Goose Creek, and selected schools in the HISD
- W.L. Davis District - covers South Region of the Houston ISD: Inner City of Houston Area, Third Ward, Sunnysidt, and Hiram Clarke Area
- Bayshore District - covers Clear Creek ISD, Deer Park ISD, and La Porte ISD
- Eagle Trail District - covers Pasadena ISD
- Flaming Arrow District - covers Splendor, New Caney, Huffman, and Humble ISD
- Raven District - covers Houston ISD, Barbers Hill ISD, Galena Park ISD, Goose Creek CISD, Channelview ISD, Crosby ISD, Sheldon ISD, and other schools around the East Houston, Galena Park, Baytown, Crosby, Channelview, Sheldon, Mont Belvieu area
- Skyline District - covers Houston ISD schools in Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, Acres Homes, the Heights, Independence Heights, North side, Downtown, Magnolia, Denver Harbor, Wallisville Road, and Port of Houston areas
- Arrowmoon District - covers the following school districts: Anderson-Shiro, Bryan, Caldwell, College Station, Madisonville County Navasota, and Richards
- Brahman District - covers Matagorda, Wharton, and Colorado Counties
- David Crockett District - covers the following school districts: Bellville, Brazos, Brenham, Burton, Hempstead, Sealy, Somerville and Waller
- George Strake District - covers the following school districts: Conroe, (north of the San Jacinto River), Huntsville, Montgomery, New Waverly, Trinity and Willis ISD
- Iron Horse District - covers the Spring and Klein ISDs (east of Kuykendahl) located North of Houston in Spring, TX
- Orion District - covers Tomball and Magnolia School Districts located Northwest of Houston
- Phoenix District - covers Klein ISD (west of Kuykendahl) located North of Houston and east of Highway 249
- Soaring Eagle District - covers eastern area of the Cy-Fair ISD attendance zones of Harris County
- Tall Timbers District - covers Conroe ISD (south of the San Jacinto River) which serves The Woodlands, Oak Ridge, and Shenandoah
- Brazos District - covers Lamar CISD and Needville ISD attendance zones in Fort Bend County
- Golden Arrow District - covers the southwest area of the Houston ISD attendance zones of Harris County, including West University, Tanglewilde, Sharpstown, River Oaks, Bellaire, Upper Kirby, Neartown, Galleria, Tanglewood, Meyerland, Braes Oak, and Westchase
- North Star District - covers Fort Bend ISD attendance zones north of US-59 in Fort Bend County
- Tatanka District - covers Alief ISD
- Thunder Wolf District - covers Fort Bend ISD attendance zone South of US-59 in Fort Bend county
- Big Cypress District - covers the Northwest area of the Cy-Fair ISD attendance zones of Harris County, including Cypress, Bridgeland and Fairfield
- Copperhead District - covers the southern boundaries of the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD between Clay Rd and West Rd and north of Eldridge Pkwy. N
- Mustang District - covers Spring Branch ISD and Houston ISD schools north of Westheimer and outside Loop 610
- Texas Skies District - covers Katy ISD and Royal ISD schools serving the families and communities of Katy and Brookshire, TX
Scout camps operated by this BSA Council:
- See Also : SHAC Camping News
|xxx||Bovay Scout Ranch||SHAC||Active||Navasota||Mix use facility, flagship council outdoor program facility. Home to McNair Cub World and Camp Tellepsen and Camporee Field.|
|xxx||Tellepsen Scout Camp||SHAC||Weekend Scout Camp||Navasota|
|xxx||McNair Cub Adventure World||SHAC||Weekend Cub World||Navasota||Weekend camping, BB guns, archery, swimming, sports, crafts, games, BMX biking.|
|xxx||Camp Strake||SHAC||Summer Scout Camp||Coldspring||Premier summer council summer camp.|
- El Rancho Cima is located on the Devil's Backbone just off Ranch Road 32 18 miles northwest of San Marcos, Texas, and provides weekend and summer camping for Boy Scouts and Venturers.
- Camp Brosig is located 4 miles north of Sealy, Texas and provides weekend camping and district events such as Camporees and Cuborees.
- Hamman Scout Camp is located a few miles west of Bandera, Texas and provides rustic camping for older scouts.
This district is part of The Sam Houston Area Council, headquartered in Houston, Texas, and serves youth members and volunteer leaders through Scout units in southeast Texas. It is a local council (#576) of the Boy Scouts of America. All youth are invited to join scouting.