Roland E. Philipps
He was the second son of John Philipps, 1st Viscount St. David, and grew up in the southeastern Wales. He attended a few boarding schools in his upbringing and education: In Hertfordshire, later Twyford School near Winchester and finally New College, Oxford..
Roland worked for Charity Organisation Society, and when he left Oxford, he was employed in a shipping company in Liverpool, where he learned about scouting. A local scout group needed a scoutmaster, and he volunteered of sheer couriosity and was soon taken by this new movement. When he was assigned the company's London office, he went to the Imperial Scout Headquarters and - as he later described - craved a position. He became district assistent in East End.
In may 1913 he was chosen for Commissioner of North East London. He wrote several books about scouting, most of them published after his death. His main theme was the patrol system.
Philipps wasa Captain in the british army during WW1 and got Military Cross after a shoulder wound march 2. 1916. Philipps returned to the war after recovery and died in action juli 7. 1916 leading his men in battle on the western frontier. His brother fell in the war too in may 1915.
Roland Philipps left his house in East End to the scouts. Roland House became an important part of scouting in London, and the house, named The House on the Green in Stepney Green 29, became Roland Philipps Scout centre. In this house was the first meetings and planning that eventually made the project Gilwell Park possible.