River District (Black Warrior Council)
River District, a district of the Black Warrior Council serves Boy Scouts in Tuscaloosa, Bibb and Pickens Counties. WIth Tuscaloosa being the most densly populated County served, the River District is headquarted in the heart of it all. Just steps away from the University of Alabama.
District Roundtable meets on the 2nd Thursday each month at ___. Roundtable provides supplemental training for volunteers at the unit level. The objectives of roundtables are to provide leaders with program ideas, information on policy and events, training opportunities, and an enhanced network of contacts and other resources while also providing unit leaders with a voice in formulating direction at the district level.
Visit the District Roundtable (above) to get more information about these and other scouting units in this area.
Cub Scout Packs
Cub Scouts holds weekly activities for youth ages 6-10. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours. Arrowhead District Day Camps are offered at Point Mallard Park in Decatur, Alabama and at Sportsman Lake Park in Cullman, Alabama.
Boy Scout Troops
Boy Scouts- Weekly meetings / monthly outtings / annual summer adventure trips. Scouting builds life and leadership skills for boys ages 11-17. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
- Troop 7: Holy Spirit Catholic Church ( Catholic Scouting) - Tuscaloosa AL - This high adventure troop meets weekly at the Scout Cabin behind Holy Spirit Elementary School. Every month from August through May of the school year, the troop takes a camping trip to a regional site. Each summer the troop goes to Camp Horne in Tuscaloosa for Black Warrior Council summer camp. Each year Troop 7 also organizes an expedition to a High Adventure destination such as Philmont Scout Ranch, Florida Seabase, Northern Tier, or the National Jamboree.
- Troop 100: St. Mark UMC ( Methodist Scouting). BSA Charter unit since 1973.
Venturing hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
Exploring Posts hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
Sea Scouts hold weekly activities for youth ages 14-20. Most units are co-ed and have a venturing theme. Contact either the unit or it's sponsor to get more information back in 72 hours.
Parks & Recreation
- Lake Lurleen State Park is a public recreation area located on U.S. Highway 82 approximately 9 miles northwest of Northport in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. The state park's 1,625 acres includes scenic Lake Lurleen and a 23-mile trail system.
Many of those locations offer discounts for scouting units and families :
- Camp Horne - 496-acre main council camp located in east Tuscaloosa County. Summer camp merit badge program.
- Camp O'Rear - a 90-acre primitive-style facility located in Jasper, AL.
- White Bluff Scout Reservation - primitive scout high adventure camp on the Black Warrior River near Demopolis AL.
More local area camping opportunities can be found at the following: