Groups:1st Hempton (Norfolk) Sea Scouts
|1st Hempton Sea Scouts|
|District||North West Norfolk|
|Date Founded||28th June 1937|
1st Hempton Sea Scouts were formed on 28th June 1937 as part of the North West Norfolk District. The Scoutmaster was Leslie Arthur Freeman, with Harry William Neale as Assistant Scoutmaster. At registration the group had 7 Sea Scouts. Their headquarters was the former windmill on Shereford Road, a fact that drew national attention - with a photograph appearing in the May 1938 edition of "The Scouter". Sadly the mill was demolished during the early part of WW2, due to concerns that the Luftwaffe were using it to help guide them to RAF West Raynham. The group closed in 1954.
On 11th May 1955 1st Hempton (Holy Trinity) Scout Group opened at the parish church, although no longer listed as a Sea Scout unit. 1st Hempton continued to operate until March 1962.