|Strake Scout Camp
|Hines Lake Rd, Coldspring, TX 77331
- Camp Strake will be open for summer camp 2020.
Camp Strake is currently being built at a rural site near the Sam Houston National Forest, close to the community of Evergreen in order to create a 21st century Scouting experience for Scouts and their leaders.
Camp Strake is located on 2,816 acres between New Waverly and Coldspring near the community of Evergreen, Tx. The camp is a 1.5-hour drive from downtown Houston and close to I-45 and the Grand Parkway.
At its new site, Camp Strake will have the following:
- science, technology, engineering and math center,
- a shooting sports complex,
- zip lines,
- climbing and rappelling towers,
- lake- and pool-based aquatics programs
- 1,200-seat arena.
- Lake Livingston: is 10 miles east of the property.
- Sam Houston National Forest: Large woodland area with abundant camping sites, wilderness trails and natural wildlife, forests and other attractions - surrounds the camp on three sides.
- Lone Star Hiking Trail: close to one corner of the property.
Old Camp Strake
Camp Strake was formerly located at I-45 and South Loop 336 West in Conroe for decades, where Grand Central Park is now. Franklin said the SHAC began looking for a new location because urban development was booming there.
“The former Camp Strake was one of the most-used camp properties in the country for scouts. …We have been kind of busting at the seams at our other properties trying to make up for it, and we haven’t been able to fully do that,” Franklin said. “So there’s no question that we have the demand to need this thing built.”
This district is part of The Sam Houston Area Council, headquartered in Houston, Texas, and serves youth members and volunteer leaders through Scout units in southeast Texas. It is a local council (#576) of the Boy Scouts of America. All youth are invited to join scouting.