Welcome to the ScoutWiki Network

Camp Ockanickon

From ScoutWiki, For Everyone, Everywhere involved with Scouting and Guiding...
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Ockanickon.jpg
Ockanickon Scout Reservation

Ockanickon Scout Reservation is located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania and is part of the Bucks County Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Ockanickon is a weekend camp during spring, fall, and winter. During the summer, Ockanickon acts as a resident summer camp.

Overview

Camp Ockanickon contains 15 camp sites which are available to troops during the summer: Lenape, Mohawk, Ajapeu, Neshaminy, Campways, Tohickon, Hopi, Tamanend, Quabosco, Bischewi, Shagbark, Wakoda, Algonquin, Ottawa, and Seneca. A sixteenth, Comanche, is available for weekend camping. The camp was founded in 1941 and was named after a Lenape chief who assisted William Penn in the exploration of the Bucks Country area. Camp Ockanickon contains an air-conditioned dining hall, science center, Eagle department, ecology lodge, swimming pool, lake, COPE course, handicraft lodge, Dan Beard program (for first year Scouts), a trading post, rifle, shotgun, and archery ranges, and a Spoke N' Rope program, all of which are available during the summer camping season.

GE Betz Science Center

The GE Betz Science Center [1] is located behind four water towers near the parking lot. The Science Center offers Electricity, Electronics, Space Exploration, Weather, Nuclear Science, Chemistry and Astronomy merit badges. The Science Center is the first of its kind among US Boy Scout camps.

In addition, the Science Center is air conditioned and contains a 12 inch telescope, an inflatable planetarium, K'Nex (including a K'Nex tower), chemistry and computer labs, a weather room, a weather station, a Van de Graff generator, a Jacob's ladder, and large quantities of liquid nitrogen for experiments and demonstrations. Current expansion plans include an observatory with a 20 inch telescope for Astronomy merit badge and night time observations.

See also

External links

40°26′13″N 75°05′13″W / 40.4369°N 75.0869°W / 40.4369; -75.0869

Notes