34th World Conference (WAGGGS)
|34th World Conference|
|Date||11 July 2011-15 July 2011|
The 34th World Conference of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) was held from 11 to 15 July 2011 in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was hosted by the Girlguiding UK and was held in the Edinburgh Conference Centre at Heriot-Watt University. Over 390 delegates attended representing 122 member organizations. It was the first WAGGGS World Conference to be held in the UK since 1975.
The theme of the conference was "100 years changing lives".
UN Women Deputy Director and Assistant Secretary-General, Lakshmi Puri, delivered the keynote address on the first day of the conference, focusing on issues including gender equality and domestic violence.
Six new associations were officially given full member status of WAGGGS at the World Conference, Guides de la République Démocratique du Congo, Association des Scouts et Guides du Congo, the Girl Guides Association of Cambodia, the Girl Guides Association of Grenada, the Swaziland Girl Guides Association and Associazione Guide Esploratori Cattolici Sammarinesi (San Marino) were awarded 'Full Membership' on day one of the conference.
35th World Conference
The Hong Kong Girl Guides Association won their bid to host the 35th World Conference. Their successful bid was announced on the final day of the 34th World Conference. The 35th World Conference will take place in Hong Kong in 2014.
- "12th Jul 2011 World Guides and Girl Scouts Conference comes to Edinburgh". News. Edinburgh Convention Bureau. http://conventionedinburgh.com/World-Guides-and-Girl-Scouts-Conference.html. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Troops on the march to city". The Scotsman. 04/0/2008. http://business.scotsman.com/industry/Troops-on-the-march-to.4354056.jp. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "34th World Conference". wagggsworld.org. World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. http://www.wagggsworld.org/en/34WorldConference.
- "Local news: Festival gets technical to exploit web". Edinburgh Evening News. 19/07/2011. http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Local-news-Festival-gets-technical.6801976.jp. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "WAGGGS 34th World Conference". Girlguiding Scotland. http://www.girlguidingscotland.org.uk/WAGGGS%2034th%20Conference. Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- Puri, Lakshmi. "World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts Conference: UN Women Deputy Director Keynote Address". UN Women: Speeches. UN Women. http://www.unwomen.org/2011/07/world-association-of-girl-guides-and-girl-scouts-conference-un-women-deputy-director-keynote-address/. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "Tuesday 12 July 2011". Auld Reekie (World Conference newsletter). World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. http://www.wagggsworld.org/en/grab/22161/1/news-tuesday-11-july-eng-final.pdf. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- Bianchi, Renee. "34th World Conference – Day 5 (Friday 15th July 2011)". Guide Stories. Girl Guides Australia. http://www.girlguides.org.au/blog/?m=201107. Retrieved 20 July 2011.