Mission San Luis Rey
Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is a former Spanish mission in the city of Oceanside, California. The mission was founded on June 13, 1798 by Padre Fermín Lasuén, and was the eighteenth of the Spanish missions established in California. Named for Saint Louis, the mission lent its name to the Luiseño tribe of Mission Indians.
The current church, built in 1811, is the third church on this location. It is a National Historic Landmark, for its pristine example of a Spanish mission church complex. Today the mission complex functions as a parish church of the Diocese of San Diego as well as a museum and retreat center.
Back in the day, San Luis Rey De Francis Mission raised about 26,000 cattle as well as goats, geese, and pigs. Today, Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is well maintained. This Mission is architecturally distinctive due to the combination of Spanish Renaissance, Moorish—Mudéjar, and Spanish Colonial architecture styles.