Guajome County Park
Guajome County Park - (Oceanside / Vista) Known both for its rich natural habitats (including a small, but beautiful lake) and its historic Rancho Guajome Adobe. The adjacent Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum also hosts group scouting camping, Scout Camporees and the annual kickoff for the Girl Scout Cookie Sales. From Guajome you can follow the 10-mile San Luis Rey Bike Trail for a flat ride straight to the Pacific Ocean. Also is the number bird watching destination in North County.
Guajome County Park
3000 Guajome Lake Road, Oceanside, CA 92057 Park: (760) 724-4489 Reservations: (858) 565-3600, (877) 565-3600
Camping Hours: Camping, 24 hours a day, 7 days per week Day use Hours: 9:30 a.m. to sunset, daily
Guajome Regional Park is located in the coastal community of Oceanside and has a little bit of everything that San Diego County offers. Just 8 miles from the Pacific Ocean, the park is a great place to visit year-round, and is close to many entertaining and historical points of interest.
Camp. Fish. Hike. Relax. Repeat. A developed 33-site campground offers cabins, partial hook-ups, a caravan pavilion, shade and afternoon ocean breezes. Two day-use areas with new playgrounds, a basketball court and lots of green lawn space make this park ideal for picnicking or just taking a break from it all.
Two ponds attract a wide variety of migratory birds and serve as home to a variety of fish that will test the skills of any angler. Great for nature watchers, 4.5 miles of trails meander through diverse Southern California habitats such as woodlands, chaparral, wetlands and mixed grasslands.
Popular Scout Activities
- Urban Backpacking A - Park cars at nearby Mance Buchannon Park and then backpack 2.25 miles down the San Luis Rey River Bike Trial into Guajome Park to camp overnight. Return in the morning.
- Urban Backpacking B - Park cars at LDS Vista Stake Center (451 Bobier) and catch the Vista Sports Park Trail nearby for a 2 mile downhill trail to Guajome, past the backside of AGSEM and Rancho Guajome Adobe.
- Mission DayHike - 10-mile round trip hike to Mission San Luis Rey. Enjoy a mission tour along the way.
- Bird Studies Merit Badge - Guajome Lake is one of the best birdwatching locations in all of San Diego. Camp overnight and early in the morning get down to the lake to see a large variety of birds and waterfowl.
- Fishing - Do you like to fish on your campouts? Here is one place to throw in your hook (CA Fishing license required.)