- For the frogman-detector sonar system, see NuvoSonic.
Sea Scouts are members of the international Scouting movement, with a particular emphasis on water-based activities, such as kayaking, canoeing, sailing, and rowing. Depending on the country and the available water these activities are on lakes, rivers or sea in small or large ships. Sea Scouting can be a program for all Scouts or just older Scouts. Sea Scouts provides a chance to sail, cruise on boats, learn navigation, learn how to work on engines. Sea Scouts often compete in regattas.
Robert Baden-Powell grew up being constantly reminded of his family's naval connections. His maternal grandfather was Admiral William Smyth. In 1872, when he was 15, Robert Baden-Powell accompanied his brothers on a cross-country expedition by collapsible canoe. They slept in tents and cooked their meals over open fires. Little wonder then that B-P was to write later on in his life that he started his Scouting as a Sea Scout.
Sea Scouting had its beginning at a campfire in England when Robert Baden-Powell voiced the hope that older Scouts would be interested in learning about boat management and seamanship. He stressed the need for young men to prepare themselves for service on their country's ships. Sea Scouting was introduced by Robert Baden-Powell with the assistance of his brother, Warington Baden-Powell, K.C., an Admiralty lawyer, sailor, and inventor of canoe sailing. Lord Baden-Powell personally held a Scout camp at Buckler's Hard, Hampshire in August 1908 which marked the start of Sea Scouts, though they were not officially named such until 1912. Warington Baden-Powell wrote the handbook Sea Scouting and Seamanship for Boys in 1910 with a foreword by Robert Baden-Powell. It was enthusiastically received by the young men of Britain and soon found its way to the rest of the world. Warington Baden-Powell is also the author of Canoe Travelling: Log of a Cruise on the Baltic, and Practical Hints on Building and Fitting Canoes London, Smith, Elder, 1871.
Around the world
In many organizations a Sea Scout troop or group has a special name, in the Boy Scouts of America it is called a ship.
|Country||Membership||Troops/Groups||Age group||See also|
|Austria||4||10-20||Pfadfinder und Pfadfinderinnen Österreichs|
|Bulgaria||at least 1|
|Greece||4,000||above 7||Soma Hellinon Proskopon (Boy Scouts)|
|Soma Hellinikou Odigismou (co-ed Guides)|
|India||at least 1||10-26|
|Ireland||approx. 2650||25||6-20||Sea Scouts (Scouting Ireland)|
|Malaysia||at least 1||12-19|
|Netherlands ||2,167||300||7-11||Scouting Nederland|
|New Zealand||2,000||60||10-15.5||Sea Scouts New Zealand|
|Poland (01-01-2007)||295 (159g+136b)||175||6-9|
|South Africa ||20||11-18|
|Switzerland ||130||1||>6||Pfadibewegung Schweiz|
|Trinidad and Tobago||1893||18||11-21|
|United Kingdom||10,000||401||10-14||Sea Scouts (The Scout Association)|
|United States||15,000||14-21||Sea Scouting (Boy Scouts of America)|
Girl Scouts of the USA
Eurosea is the seminar for Sea Scouting/Guiding in the European Scout Region which take place every three years. The aims and objectives are to enable national associations to share ideas and experiences on how to develop Sea Scouting/Guiding or water-based programs in general. Participants are members of national or regional teams responsible for Sea Scouting/Guiding or developing water-based programs and representatives from associations interested in introducing Sea Scouting/Guiding.
- Eurosea 1, 1985: Thessaloniki, Greece
- Eurosea 2, 1988: Harderhaven, Netherlands
- Eurosea 3, 1992: Vässarö, Sweden
- Eurosea 4, 1994: London, United Kingdom
- Eurosea 5, 1997: Oslo, Norway
- Eurosea 6, 2000: Olsztynek, Poland
- Eurosea 7, 2003: São Jacinto, Aveiro, Portugal
- Eurosea 8, 2006: Korpoo, Finland
- Sea Cadets, not a Scout Movement organisation, but sufficiently similar to be relevant
- Historic fireboat Duwamish
- "The Early History of Sea Scouting". Scouting Milestones. http://www.scoutingmilestones.freeserve.co.uk/seascouts.htm. Retrieved 2006-09-06.
- "Sea guiding and scouting". http://www.partio.fi/?Deptid=1267. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Sea Scouting: Sea Scouting in Israel
- "Presentation Dutch Seascouts Eurosea 8 Seminar" (powerpoint). http://europe.seascout.org/eurosea/8/presentations/Dutch_Sea_Scouts.ppt. Retrieved 2007-03-05.
- seascout.org SouthAfrica
- "Unikum unter den Schweizer Pfadfindern feiert Jubiläum" (in German). Neue Zürcher Zeitung. 2008-03-31. http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/zuerich/das_unikum_unter_den_schweizer_pfadfindern_feiert_jubilaeum_1.697905.html. Retrieved 2008-04-01.
- J.S. Wilson, Scouting 'Round the World, 1957 edition